Re: Call for Action: Design a new forum header background

I like the chip pins look too smile

Alright, let's adopt the one from post 21, then.
d0x10, would you be so kind to try integrating it?

I will check this today, adding header, maybe I could upgrade the software same time.

OK, the PunBB software is now updated to newest version, next need to find where the header image is added smile

Awesome, thanks! Glad things went ok.

As far as I can tell, the header image should be in /img, and then some changes in style_cs.css are required:
- in section #brd-head, add "background-image:url(img/header.gif);"
- in sections #brd-title and #brd-desc, add "display: none;" to disable the text (I should probably add the description text to the header image, but let's see if this works at all first)

Oh well, added those, though it seems that files/etc in new version are somewhat different. There's no style_cs.css file, instead from styles dir I found Oxygen subfolder which contain several style .css files. In style folder there's only print.css (and index.html) , Oxygen contains four  Oxygen_xxx.css files, one is Oxygen.min.css, where I made changes (found all sections), doesn't seem to work (gif is already uploaded).

How about, utz, PM, I will make you own account to my server, so you could make any changes now and in future, let me know what you think smile !

Uh, sure. I have absolutely no clue about this stuff though, so if possible pull a backup from time to time in case I break something.

So I've finally managed to implement this header image. Thanks again to PROTODOME for the awesome design!

Hope it works ok for everyone, It was quite a hassle to fiddle this into the layout. I'm not entirely happy with it yet. For one, I would like to bring back the sub-heading text ("complex music from simple devices"), preferably without adding it to the image itself. Also, for the future I think styling the forum a bit more appropriately would indeed be nice. Not sure if a tiled b/w background wouldn't be too busy, but I'm gonna try some things once I  find the motivation to fight with the forum css again.

I see it now that I refreshed my browser with ctrl+F5. Good job. It looks great, and with the slogan back, it would be even nicer. Why not adding it to the banner itself? This way you can use a cool 8-bit pixeliased font for the letters.

For the general style, since it's 1-bit, I wouldn't dislike a black and white CSS (instead of all this blue), but it might look less appealing...

Ok, some more tweaking done. Not sure about the tiled background, it flickers like hell on my browser. Also I still need to sort out various bits and bobs here and there, like setting background for those "floating" links. Anyway, what do you guys think so far (especially about the background)?

I also still don't understand why the mobile view is broken. The code for responsive design in the css is there, but it doesn't seem to be triggered properly. Perhaps the error is in the PHP code, which means chances of me finding it are low.

Wahay, now we're cooking !

Looks great, very funky. Certainly brightened up the forum straight away smile

Personally I really like the checker design.

Alright, fixed the floating links. Not the most elegant solution but I've had enough fiddeling for today.
Ok then, I'll keep the background for now, and we can decide later if we stick with it for good or not.

It looks better this way. Yet the background is a bit strange but it's ok when you don't scroll.
Maybe something like that (in b&w):
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvraxxIinl1qap1jz.png

My girlfriend pixelled another background thingy. I think this one looks even better, and unlike the previous one, it doesn't flicker (at least not as much) when scrolling.

With this background, I should probably make some tweaks to the header proportions and such. Will see about that later. Also, still want to get rid of all those shades of blue, but there's a truckload of settings for that and I haven't come up with a good, consistent new scheme yet.

Generally speaking, I don't want to go too Spectrum-y with the layout. I know we mostly talk about Spectrum here, but I'm very much in favour of broadening the scope a bit, ifyouknowwaddamean.

it looks much better this way. Congrat to your girlfriend!
There is still some blue in the responsive / mobile part. I think responsiveness works, with the top menu and such, the only "problem" is we can't see the name of the last poster, we have to use the phone in landscape view.

Yeah, the mobile view uses a different css, haven't touched that at all.
Does the main menu work on mobile for all of you? Because it sure is broken when I set a small viewport in Firefox.

I view the forum on a mobile most of the time and agree with Garvalf.

The forum is useable but the phone has to be in landscape to see some fields.