Topic: Call for Action: Design a new forum header background

I think we need a new forum header background... Would anyone of you honoured members be willing to design one?
Optimally it would be lightweight in terms of file size, and would tile (so it doesn't look crap on mobile devices.

Also I was wondering if we should officially expand the forum's scope to include 1-bit art and design. Black and white pixel stuff, basically. Not that I know of any people who actively produce this kind of stuff, but it would great to have some fitting visuals to complement the music, no? What do you folks think? We'd probably need to set a few examples ourselves for people to follow suit, though...

Re: Call for Action: Design a new forum header background

A new header background is a great idea, not sure about expanding into 1-bit art but could be fun smile

3 (edited by 4throck 2016-05-10 15:22:15)

Is the request still open?

How about styling the entire forum?

I can tweak the template into something more retro, no problem there.
Here's what I got in a few minutes!

Post's attachments

test.jpg 136.25 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Yes, the request is still very much open! Also, a complete forum styling would be even better.

Personally, I would very much like a "simplistic but elegant" black-and-white design. It doesn't necessarily need to be very retro, as some things discussed on here are pretty un-retro. But oh well, anything is better than what we currently have, I guess...

Btw finally changed the forum header text to something more concise. Hope you guys are ok with that smile

Yeah I agree, we could definitely do with a revamp! I've been meaning to have a go at a banner myself for ages but am pretty crap at graphics.

Would be nice to get the screen size to fit on a smart phone in portrait mode too, like the old forum used to. On an iPhone the phone has to be rotated to landscape to display all the columns.

Hadn't noticed the subtle header text change, nice and concise smile

Hmm, I wonder why smart phone view is broken. We're running a slightly newer PunBB version than the old forum, but surely that shouldn't break things? Well, come to think of it, there are a some things that are broken in this version (bbcode in lists, for example). I should poke d0x10 about upgrading again...

utz, yes, perhaps I could upgrade, I am just worried that (any upgrade of any software) break things, fix old errors and make new ones.

That's a very reasonable concern wink However, I believe we're on a version that proved to be, uh, not so successful, and was quickly replaced with another one. 1.4.4 on the other hand hasn't been updated in over half a year, so I assume it should be reasonably stable.

idea

What about something like this, with a monochrome, tiled triangle pattern as the bg?

Oh yes, looking sweet! I'd like to suggest a few tweaks to improve the readability though. What do you think about making it read "1bitforum", ie. something like this:

idea

Not so happy with the "1" yet, though. Perhaps it should also be more solid, like the "u" and "m"?

idea

Yeah, I get you. What about this?

Yes, awesome. Just one last thing, I think the "m" still looks a bit heavy/solid compared to the rest. Do you think that could be helped somehow? I tried breaking up the horizontal line with another triangle but that looked rather silly.

Okay, here's another.

idea

And another.

idea

Excellent, thanks a lot mate. I think #2 looks best.

15 (edited by garvalf 2016-05-17 22:01:38)

It looks really good, maybe a little "-" (a normal one) between 1 and bit would make it more readable?

I like it too, as Garvalf says, maybe a "-" between the 1 and bit and also a small space between the 't' and 'f' to make it more readable?

Arrrghh... and I just persuaded PROTODOME to remove the dash/spacing.

Haha, OK looks good as it is too smile

Naw it's cool. I'm bored anyway.

Okay, number 1...

idea

Number 2...

idea

Or something else?

Cool, both look good and also number 2 on post 13.

Any of those would be great, what do you think guys?

Yeah, I'd vote for #2. Or #1, but then with a shorter dash. Perhaps also flipped vertically and maintaining the 2px spacing from the rest of the chars.

edit: uhhmm, like this perhaps?

http://irrlichtproject.de/transfer/1bitforum5.gif

Perfect, that's great. Gets my vote smile

Like it man.

24 (edited by garvalf 2016-05-20 08:45:05)

yes, I like the last version best, the dash is less visible, yet still present, it looks really great this way!

I find the "m" a little aggressive with the 3 edges like razors (or like some heavy metal logo [I like metal!]). Maybe this may soften a bit:

http://garvalf.online.fr/var/upload/temp/1bitforum6.png

but the latest version was good anyway.

Damn, was gonna make a joke with the pointy m poking through an ay chip with some splatter, but gimp botched the render.

Anyway, I like kinda like the pointy things, they look a bit like a chip pins, no?