Topic: Space Beeps (Part 2) - Real hardware recording

Hi Guys

If anyone is interested, I've made a recording from real hardware of Space Beeps (Part 2).

The render on BOTB was made from the Beepola export. I originally tried to make a recording from my Speccy 48K but the arps sounded a bit distorted.

I've had another go tonight and recorded it from my Spectrum 128K +2A which sounds OK.

Even though I recorded it in 48K mode the tune does still play a bit faster (shaved about 5 seconds off the length) but I think it sounds a bit less scratchy.

Not sure which version I prefer as other parts have also subtly changed but it seemed wrong not to record it from real hardware wink

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/112 … rdware.mp3

Re: Space Beeps (Part 2) - Real hardware recording

.bbsong ? I'll try how it sound on atari big_smile (xxl at atari.pl)

I've emailed the source .bbsong to you smile

Cheers

Sounds good to my ears wink Yeah, it's normal that it'll play a bit faster/cleaner on +2A, because that machine doesn't have that I/O contention issue.
Btw you probably know this already, but just in case - in Beepola, you can enable IO contention emulation in the options, then the sound will be closer to 48K/128K.

Excellent!!!

There isn't that much difference, but I find the sound softer, and so it sounds a bit less choppy so I prefer this version.

Thanks for all the comments guys smile

Utz - yeah I enabled the IO contention in Beepola to try and make the output sound like a 48k speccy. It played at the right speed and had the 48k 'muzziness' but the arps were also not distorted, unlike real hardware - bizarre.

Garvalf - I agree, I think for this engine the +2A output sounds cleaner and is preferable. I still prefer the 48k for Qchan though as it seems to beef up the thin sound a bit.

Cheers

Agreed, for some engines the IO contention adds some very pleasant overtones/harmonics to the sound.