1 (edited by mmm561 2016-03-16 07:20:00)

Topic: Atari Portfolio

Hi all, there is my first program using huby engine for Atari PF, you can try it. If enyone have interest to make music or programs for this platform I will be glad for any response. Thankx.

Post's attachments

huby.zip 8.6 kb, 9 downloads since 2016-03-16 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Atari Portfolio

Yes! So the day has finally come wink
Ummm... I don't have a Portfolio. Is there an emulator that can run this, and/or could you share a recording of the sound?

Thanx for response. I don´t know about emulator except dos tsr int60, int61 (atari pf specific), but it doesn´t emulate all hardware (beeper port is in another location then pc speaker and it is controled one bit only). I will try to record sound and add it here as soon as possible or suggest me how to share it. another way migth be youtube? I have there one video of sw for PF which I develop.

Youtube would be a good option, I think smile

Arrrr the Atari Portfolio. I remember those smile

Didn't the young John Connor use one in Terminator 2 to rob a cashpoint? The little scamp smile

In my youth, I wanted so bad to get such a tiny computer... for hacking banks like in Terminator and making 1-bit music smile (I saw the movie later though, I've heard on the portfolio in some Atari Magazines). A friend of mine got one, his father was a doctor and some lab gave a portfolio to him as incentive.

Hello, here is promised example of video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ6dsDO0wN4
Atari can more then be actor in Terminator 2 ;-)
Drop me a line what should be better. Rewriting music engines is not simple problem.

One more example with cooperating PF with my Atari Portfolio Manager. Now it works on 16bit platform with win3.11+Calmira but I am working on 32bit porting. If anybody have interest I would like to cooperate and/or share sources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj-FU3VzWNM

Wow, it sounds excellent! Well done, mate.
Can't help with porting Portfolio Manager, unfortunately - my PC programming skills are extremely limited.

10 (edited by mmm561 2016-03-21 09:50:29)

I´m realy glad You like it wink. I very enjoy beepola and similar programs. But they emulate ZX Spectrum. This is on PF imposible. I always should rewrite engine to asm 8086 and must be aware about timing. This is why I have huby only. I tried to reassemble lsengine, but now still not works. Very good sound produces Special FX, but it use interrupt, which is on PF unreachable. I hope I will advance. When I will have some new player, I will send code here, perhaps it will be usefull for somebody.
Can I ask You? Have You more tunes for Huby? I can adapt Huby player not to compile music data into exe, but play music file of my own format.

Regards and Happy Easter mates ;-)

You can take a look at my recent engine BuzzKick (available in 1tracker) - it is basically a Special FX replica (the same sound generation loop), but without interrupts and with sampled drums.

I personally would like to get an x86 portable device such as Portfolio, to make a tracker or something. Unfortunately, didn't see them around since early 2000, like some HP portable with WinCE.

website - 1bit music - other music - youtube - bandcamp - patreon - twitter (latest news there)

12 (edited by mmm561 2016-03-21 13:22:03)

Thankx for info, I will look at it. I am from Czech Republic and old comps are sometimes available on aukro.cz/aukro.sk/aukro.pl and I think when You will look at ebay You will find some piece of Atari PF. Also I found shop in U.S. which trade RAM Cards and some accessories. Another choice is HP 100/200 LX. It is based on DOS too. About its speaker I know nothing. Unfortunately I haven't got HP. It is good machine if I know.
If You got PF I can share all soft of mine.
Sorry for my english and mistakes, I hope that I could be understood :-)

It sounds great! Well done.

It is made by Shiru he is developer of sound and engine. I am only coder for another platform and if it is success thank you.

If You have more music for huby, I will adapt my player to play from file not only from compiled notes.... and no problem share the code.

Hmm, perhaps you'd be interested in putting together a Huby-PF music disk release? I've got a few Huby tunes laying around in any case. What format do you need, z80 .asm or raw binary maybe?

Also I was wondering... how does the sound work on PF? Can you use timers, like on PC?

16 (edited by mmm561 2016-03-22 12:14:39)

Yes, I am interested in huby music data. I prefer z80.asm, but I can compile another format, too. I think best for me will be adapt player to accept data in file in format of my own and make some converter. Could You post it here or You will mail me? (mmm561@email.cz). I will send result and I will share it.
About timers. You will be disappointed. In my Huby engine for PF I don't use hardware timer. It runs on similar frequency this is why I count speed from ticks of machine code same way as Z80 original code. Source code is possible in my first post here.

Finally got a working Portfolio. Seems to be a long way before anything is going to be made, though, as connectivity certainly not a strong side of the system, and any cards/adapters are really difficult to obtain here. So no promises so far. Hopefully will figure out something before it mysteriously stop working, like it happened with a Ti calc.

website - 1bit music - other music - youtube - bandcamp - patreon - twitter (latest news there)