1 (edited by Jasper Ted Vidal Tale 2024-03-17 03:52:14)

Topic: What is the best IBM PC Speaker to buy for the mobo's speaker header

I wonder if there's a PC Speaker that is even bigger and better than the one found in the IBM PC 5150. Complete with volume control and possibly some extra features? I use a program called BaWaMI MIDI Player to play IBM PC Speaker Music on a 64-Bit Windows PC (But BaWaMI needs a real IBM PC Speaker for it to be able to play 1-Bit Music)

Re: What is the best IBM PC Speaker to buy for the mobo's speaker header

I think the best option is to just wire the PC Speaker socket to a line out, and connect that to your hi-fi. Alternatively, most older sound cards have a socket for routing the PC Speaker through it (labelled SPKIN, usually), so you just need to connect that to the PC Speaker socket with a jumper cable.

Okay um where do i buy a Speaker Header to Line Out audio connector? (I really hope this does not involve soldering because i don't want to risk damaging a Modern PC's motherboard)

I'm afraid you can't really buy such a thing. It's really simple to make though. I'm very bad at soldering and have done it, so you can do it, too wink Check here for how to do it:

https://www.deinmeister.de/e_sbpcqlnk.htm
http://www.oldskool.org/guides/speakerrecording

If you really don't dare to do it yourself, try to find a fablab/makerspace and get help there. There are a few in your city, if I'm not mistaken.

5 (edited by Jasper Ted Vidal Tale 2024-03-19 11:25:09)

Okay but the problem is that the tutorial only mentions connecting it to a sound card instead of simply connecting it to an external speaker or hi-fi. Does the method work in Onboard Audio on a Modern PC? (I'm sorry but making my own cable and soldering it and having a 50/50 chance that it would work or its gonna make my Windows PC explode really scares me because that stuff is too intimidating for me. But my dream Windows PC is going to be built by myself instead of a Pre-Built. So um I'm really sorry to say this But can i just buy the best IBM PC Speaker ever made without the need to do external work/modification?)

6 (edited by Jasper Ted Vidal Tale 2024-03-20 15:01:06)

Um I'm talking about the speaker header in a Modern Windows PC Motherboard. Not an IBM 5150 or 486

Does your onboard audio even have connectors for a PC Speaker? Oftentimes PC beep is just emulated in software nowadays.

8 (edited by Jasper Ted Vidal Tale 2024-03-21 11:32:38)

Sadly i actually don't have my new modern pc so i can't answer that because i havent bought all the pc parts that i want for my dream modern windows pc yet. But my old windows pc (Socket 775 (Pentium 4 Prescott) Based) has a PC Speaker bundled inside the case with the PC Speaker wire only hanging out to be inserted into a Speaker Header. And my Dad's recent-ish Lenovo ThinkCentre M700 Tower also has a PC Speaker though oddly enough it doesn't beep on startup