1 (edited by Shiru 2023-05-05 22:19:54)

Topic: Ear Shaver - new 1-bit music album

Just finished it. Preparing the audio and video release with all the related stuff. In meanwhile, you can give it a listen with the loadable ZX Spectrum player.

There are 11 songs, all powered by the Ear Shaver EX engine and written with 1tracker. Half of the songs were sketched out while it wasn't EX and/or had less sub-engines, actually. Overall, the idea was to showcase the potential of this particular engine and the whole idea of per-row engine switching.

Edit:

YouTube
Soundcloud
Bandcamp

Post's attachments

earshaver.zip 194.66 kb, 5 downloads since 2023-05-05 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
website - 1bit music - other music - youtube - bandcamp - patreon - twitter (latest news there)

Re: Ear Shaver - new 1-bit music album

Great news. Look forward to having a listen tonight when home from work.

Wow !

Absolutely brilliant. Some of the tunes sound like nothing I've heard on the speccy before !

My favourites are Adventure Time and Balls of Steel

Hi Shiru

Just noticed there seems to be a bit of an issue with 128K machines on emulators.

On FUSE - +2a/+3 won't play the album - sticks after intro screen
Spectaculator - Toastrack/grey+2/+2a/+3 - sticks after intro screen on all these models

Not tried on real HW yet

Thanks!

Will look into these issues.

website - 1bit music - other music - youtube - bandcamp - patreon - twitter (latest news there)

Amazing release! Great compositions and lovely sound all around. Love how, in a way, it sounds very "classical beeper", while at the same time utilizing a massive array of state-of-the-art tech.

Thanks, utz! Now we certainly need to get some good use to at least some of your developments.

Meanwhile, fixed the 128K problem.

I have a question about the EarShaver engine - what is the maximum amount of drum sample data? 256 bytes ?

There is no limitation in the engine. Import allows to import up to 64 frames worth of sample data per drum, which is 2048 bytes (16384 1-bit samples).

Thank you,

I downloaded version 0.44 and in the engines directory I see the source code for earshaverex:

ld a,(hl)
    inc hl
    ld (drumVol01),a
    ld (drumVol11),a
    ld (drumVol21),a
    ld (drumVol31),a
    ld (drumVol41),a
    ld (drumVol51),a
    ld (drumVol61),a
    ld (drumVol71),a
    ld a,(hl)
    inc hl
    ld (drumVol12),a ; <------------------ 02 ?
    ld (drumVol12),a
    ld (drumVol22),a
    ld (drumVol32),a
    ld (drumVol42),a
    ld (drumVol52),a
    ld (drumVol62),a
    ld (drumVol72),a
    ld a,(hl)
    ld (drumVol13),a ; <----------- 03 ?
    ld (drumVol13),a
    ld (drumVol23),a
    ld (drumVol33),a
    ld (drumVol43),a
    ld (drumVol53),a
    ld (drumVol63),a
    ld (drumVol73),a

isn't there a typo?

11 (edited by Shiru 2023-07-02 09:10:52)

I guess so. Thanks for report!