1 (edited by Shiru 2023-01-17 17:46:54)

Topic: new engine: Phaser4

Finally, it is here! It is much along the lines of Phaser3, but with many improvements.

- More synthesis options, including the recently discovered CrossPhase method and limited noise generation on either channel;
- A bit improved sample rate, with a trade-off that the border now shows white strips while playing;
- Sampled drums code from Ear Shaver EX, with volume, pitch, and offset controls.

Beware, it is an early version, not tested properly, so may contain some bugs/issues.

Edit: file replaced to fix one of the bugs found, tempo compensation for the interrupting drums.

Post's attachments

phaser4.zip 8.05 kb, 6 downloads since 2023-01-17 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
website - 1bit music - other music - youtube - bandcamp - patreon - twitter (latest news there)

Re: new engine: Phaser4

A huge leap forward! The spectrum of sounds coming out of this thing is amazing. Congratulations Shiru, this is a real masterpiece.

I noticed a slight inconsistency between how an instrument sounds from the instrument view's PlayRow and how it sounds in the main editor, under certain circumstances. See the attached file. I guess the actual problem here is that Rest does not work with this instrument, but I like the sound that's leaking. It's possibe to force a rest by setting another instrument at the rest note. So it would actually be nice to keep the "feature", but somehow making sure it sounds the same in the preview.

Post's attachments

ph4test.1tm 5.35 kb, 6 downloads since 2023-01-15 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Exciting stuff, thanks Shiru

Just had a quick go. Like the fact you can have volume control of samples

Not sure what the last two columns 'P' and 'o' are ?
Don't seem to be mentioned in the .txt file

cheers

P is 'pitch'. It is not really pitch per se, more like a filter of sorts, makes the sample sound more and more muffled. On some samples it actually feels like a slight pitch change, though. O is sample offset, a sample can be played not just from beginning, but starting from a later point, it helps to get more dynamics with the same sample.

website - 1bit music - other music - youtube - bandcamp - patreon - twitter (latest news there)

Thanks a lot.
That opens up some more exciting possibilities.

As you know, I love using samples in phaser 3 smile

A couple more issues:

- Description of the drum column layout in phaser4.txt is wrong
- There's a lot of timing drift from the drums. It seems that there is no auto-correct, but it doesn't quite add up: even if I correct tempo manually, it's still not correct.

Also, what's the proper sample rate for drums, actually?

There is auto correct from Phaser3, which is done at run-time instead of compile-time. I think I need to change it to the ESEX style, which had tempo correction at song compile time.

The resulting sample rate for drums should be 3500000/136=25735 Hz. WAV import resamples the source automatically.

Oh, silly me, I just lost one line that is needed to make the tempo compensation work, when I was replacing the sample routing. Updated archive is in the first post.