Topic: new engines: pulsatilla, pindsvin, nanobeep3

Ho ho ho! 'tis the season! What season? The season for new beeper engines of course.

Pulsatilla

2 squeeker channels + 2 pulse-interleaving channels, all with full duty control. Squeeker channels can be combined into a single Phaser-like channel. PuInt channels are asynchronous, channel 4 is about half as loud as channel 3. Channel 1 has a noise mode, and channel 4 has a duty sweep mode. Phase can be controlled precisely for advanced volume/timbre tricks. Also includes synthesized interrupting click drums. Standard 224t loop, engine size 418 bytes.

Pindsvin

2 squeeker channels with duty control + 3 PFM channels with volume control. Squeeker channels can be combined into a single Phaser-like channel. Also includes interrupting PWM drums with volume control. 7-bit tempo control at half-tick resolution, 292t loop, engine size 330 bytes.

nanobeep3

Yay, finally beat my own record after 7 years. A complete beeper engine in 54 bytes, this time with proper pulse interleaving sound. 8-bit dividers (acceptable tuning in the range of C-2 - B-5, lower notes can be reached but may be out of tune), and a compact split-channel data layout. No click drum, but kicks are easy to simulate in a reasonable amout of data thanks to per-row tempo control. Some additional making-of-ish ramblings here.

No tracker support for now. Source code is available in The Holy Github repo, as usual.

Post's attachments

nanobeep3-demo.tap 995 b, 6 downloads since 2022-12-09 

pindsvin-demo.tap 826 b, 9 downloads since 2022-12-09 

pulsatilla-demo.tap 913 b, 8 downloads since 2022-12-09 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: new engines: pulsatilla, pindsvin, nanobeep3

Oh wow !

All 3 are brilliant mate !!
Amazing sound on the demos and song files are tiny. Sound good on +3 too smile

Can't wait to have a go at composing on them.
Think I've taken my phaser 3 composing skills as far as I can now. Time to try a new engine smile

Just as I thought just a dozen engines left to be added to 1tracker, and we're done, three more gets added. Great sound!

website - 1bit music - other music - youtube - bandcamp - patreon - twitter (latest news there)

A note, the tables for the data structures in the docs are messed up for Pulsatilla and Pindsvin. Not really sure how interpret them at the moment, Pulsatilla's table somehow mention ch5 even.

website - 1bit music - other music - youtube - bandcamp - patreon - twitter (latest news there)

6 (edited by utz 2022-12-13 18:26:57)

Thanks for the report, fixed. Also fixed a bug with pindsvin's drum timing.

I hope the new data format won't be too much trouble. In the worst case you could just write every row, I guess, though it certainly would be nice to have a proper dictionary of unique rows.

Made a little vid of utz's amazing pindsvin engine demo tune

https://youtu.be/ELaIK6s4DDc