Topic: Chronos...

Performing random googling within github. Found this work-in-progress disassembly of Tim's engine for Chonos.
Thought others may perhaps be interested in it.
https://github.com/ZoomTen/chronos-zxbeeper

Downloaded it, managed to get it working on the humble VZ/Laser computer, and it also sounds great. (Without the AY)

Re: Chronos...

Very interesting, thanks for pointing out!

website - 1bit music - other music - youtube - bandcamp - patreon - twitter (latest news there)

That's a great find mate, thanks a lot for sharing!

The music data here is made up of four components [...]

That's ... scary. I've barely ever gotten a few half-way decent squeaks out of YS 3-channel component, lol. Perhaps the data format could be normalized a bit, though? Maybe it could even streamline the loader part a bit. Anyway, hope ZoomTen gets back to untangeling the rest at some point.

The worst part is that it uses the whole/half/quarter note duration system, so adapting it for a tracker isn't too easy. Maybe it is better to separate the sound synthesis core from the rest of the engine, and do our usual pattern driven stuff around it. Will lose some authenticity, though, but I think the sound won't be much different.

website - 1bit music - other music - youtube - bandcamp - patreon - twitter (latest news there)

Yes, I think just take the synth core would be the best option. From what is disassembled so far I can't really tell how much work that would be, though.

I finally got to meet Tim Follin last weekend at the play expo Blackpool.

Seemed very nice and humble. Also seemed interested in the latest 1-bit advances. I managed to impose a copy of my 'on and off' cd on him which he said he'd have a listen to smile

Probably just thought I was a crazy fan in retrospect big_smile   I did mention our beeper parties

AtariTufty wrote:

I finally got to meet Tim Follin last weekend at the play expo Blackpool.

!!! smile

Would be great if he got a massive bout of nostalgia and caught the 1-bit bug once more after listening to your album, hehehehe!

Hehe yeah, that would be great. Wouldn't hold up much hope though.

More likely used as a coffee mat or CD hung up in the garden to scare the birds off his seed plants smile

Would be great if the chronos engine could in some form be added to 1tracker though