Re: HoustonTracker 2 (TI-82/83/83+/84+)

Hey guys!

Is there any clever way of producing continuos sounds (longer that 1/16 of a pattern)? I mean, could I somehow make the note longer instead of repeating to the next step? It produces some kind of steping, is it avoidable? Any tip?

Unfortunately it's not avoidable. It's a major flaw in the design of HT2, but I didn't know better back then. I wish there were an easy way to fix it, but basically the only way would be to rewrite like half of HT2 from scratch. Maybe one day, when I have too much free time, lol.

I understand completely. You've made it already with HT to HT2 jump, and from what I've read and listen it was hell of a job.

129 (edited by Shiru 2022-04-03 23:31:32)

So, a decade later I finally got another TI calculator, the USB-equipped TI-84+ this time, and it works. So I was able to see the HT2 running on the hardware for first time (not to hear yet, the 2.5 jack is a tricky one there).

On the installation instructions. TiLP gave me a lot of headache and did not work at all in the end, lots of issues on each step, with GTK+, with drivers etc, so I was not able to connect to the calc. The Ti-Connect worked out of box just fine, though, it was just a drag and drop.

website - 1bit music - other music - youtube - bandcamp - patreon - twitter (latest news there)

Ha, that's great, have fun with it! Btw I got most of my 2.5mm cables from flea markets, since those are used by a bunch of old chinese crap phones and such. Alternatively you could try to mod to 3.5mm: https://github.com/utz82/HoustonTracker … mage2.jpeg

And yes, I should probably amend the manual to recommend Windows user go down the TI-Connect path at this point, since it's become more and more tricky to make TiLP work on Windows. The only problem is that TI-Connect does not work with TI-82+SilverLink.

Got a very slim 2.5mm to 3.5mm jack adapter, so it fit the deep socket of the TI84+, and it worked - I heard the sound of the HT2 for the first time. Going to play around with it now and scheme my evil plan.

website - 1bit music - other music - youtube - bandcamp - patreon - twitter (latest news there)