1 (edited by PATATAJEC 2021-06-01 14:22:03)

Topic: Note Table - 440Hz

Hi,

I was playing with my TI-83 and found that my notes are tuned 1/2 of a tone up. So A 440Hz is something like 460-470, which is A#. I just wanted to ask if maybe that would be my batteries, calc model, or something I am missing?

Last 2 days I've watched every movie about HT2, every version update from @utz, including seminars which were very fun to watch. I'm enjoying the whole concept alot smile.

Re: Note Table - 440Hz

It's unfortunately impossible to tune HT2 properly, because the calculator's clock speed (and consequently, HT2's pitch) will vary depending on battery strength. Also yes, different models tend to have different speeds to begin with, but battery strength has the biggest impact. A will be 440Hz if the calc is running at the 6MHz it's supposed to run at. Which, in practise, is almost never the case.

Thank you,

My batteries are fresh then smile.

I bought second TI-82 Stats with the intention of synchronizing somehow both units, or atleast checking if they could synchronize in some degree - I quess it is not possible judging from your reply.

Correct, the only way to properly sync with matching pitch would be do a hardware mod and replace the timer crystals with something more stable.

5 (edited by PATATAJEC 2021-06-08 13:27:03)

Hmmm, I've read somewhere that for example TI-84 Silver Edition are crystal based not this cap/resistor thingy... Have you test one for stability? I want to buy one and check, but I found just one here in Poland, it's pink and cost 100 usd! Pink is good, but 100 usd is to much I think.

I haven't tested with a 84+SE, but I doubt it's worth shelling out $100 just to try. Tbh I don't think the SE's hardware is much different from the original 84+. And afaik the standard 84+ is not timing stable.

utz wrote:

I haven't tested with a 84+SE, but I doubt it's worth shelling out $100 just to try. Tbh I don't think the SE's hardware is much different from the original 84+. And afaik the standard 84+ is not timing stable.

Ough, I thought it might work... And yes, ti84+ are also crystal clocked. I'm trying to obtain 2 x ti84+ for cheap. Maybe it will sync along short songs. I need to know smile)

Ah, the fluctuation isn't that bad. When batteries are 100% full the clock rate drops quite quickly, but around 80% you can probably hand-sync for quite a while.