Topic: new-ish engine: SquatE

An updated version of my older Squat engine. It features much higher sample quality, achieved by using interleaving mixing technique in the Music Box fashion, as well as reading two samples per one iteration of the tone loop, so while tone channels update at ~8400 Hz, sample channel gets updated at ~16.8 KHz, and they're not getting masked by the tone channels anymore. Strategic timings applied to even out tone and sample volumes. This helped to make samples sound much clearer, now suitable for high-frequency instruments such as hats, and for tonal instruments, to some extent. New mixing scheme affected the way tone channels sounds, too, so it does not obsolete the older version, they're more like two flavors of the same thing (gritty loud sound vs clean, but thinner one).

- 4 channels of tone, each channel has its own duty cycle
- Noise mode for the last tone channel
- Noise percussion, 9 pitches of noise at 4 volumes
- 15 non-interrupting sampled drums, can be very lengthy
- Improved speed range

Like usual, it is included into the latest 1tracker release.

website - 1bit music - other music - youtube - bandcamp - patreon - twitter (latest news there)

Re: new-ish engine: SquatE

Oh, I like the sound of that. Will be a few days before I get around to trying it out, but I'm already drooling over the description, hehe. Percussion is still a problem area in beeper imo, so great to see advances in that field.

Thanks Shiru

Just downloaded the latest version of 1tracker

I'm working on my new 1-bit beeper album at the moment so am using 1tracker every day

That's nice, please remind me if there are major issues with tracker or engines, maybe I'll get another round of updates to fix (some of) them.

website - 1bit music - other music - youtube - bandcamp - patreon - twitter (latest news there)

Hi Shiru

Thanks for that. I have found a minor issue with lyndon sharp '91 (I've expanded my beeper Revolution track) in that it locks up when trying to exit back to basic. Think there was a similar issue with phaser3 that you fixed very quickly.

Wow, just tried SquatE

This is brilliant, sound quality much improved. An exciting new development, thanks Shiru