Re: Welcome to the 1-Bit Forum (aka The Introduction Thread)

Hi uglifruit, welcome aboard.

1-bit music in a musical, now that's something I haven't heard of before! Do you happen to have a recording of that performance by any chance?

Yes, definately need some better live tools for the Spectrum. Got some rough ideas floating around, but no time to work on it.
As for hacking advanced keyboard control into existing 1bit engines, it's definately doable for most of them. Generally I think the best approach would be to jump from the engine's basic keyhandler into your own and then poll the keyboard again, to avoid introducing extra noise.

Also, since you seem to enjoy tinkering with asm, maybe the BeepModular engine is something for you:
https://github.com/utz82/ZX-Spectrum-1- … aster/bm-1

cheers!

utz, thanks - that looks fascinating.

Re. Musical, the first track (Next Week When I'm 15) is a really obvious use - Beepola was very handy there! 
It's streamable here. 
https://highscoremusical.bandcamp.com/a … usical-ost

I'll share my experiments with 'performance' type things at some stage.  I'm finding the preparation of patterns that can be chained (and things like the effect of different ongoing parameters, such as duty cycle) quite fascinating.  I'm building a suite of tools/music for a demo that work in different ways.  From a simple beep arpeggiator to things like the Tritone engine, that pleasingly 'hangs' notes, so swapping to a pattern can replace just one of the three audible voices.

Wow, excellent song! Not much of a Musical guy myself, but that's certainly some very solid work.

Very curious about that demo. Let us know if you need help with anything.

The musical is a very cool work, I should say. Very well done overall, and the 1-bit part fits there so well.

website - 1bit music - other music - youtube - bandcamp - patreon - twitter (latest news there)

Hi uglifruit. Welcome to the forum smile

I've just listened to your musical. Wow some great work, particularly like 'I could be a paperboy' and 'in space'.

Also great to hear some 1-bit speccy music used in the 1st track smile

Thank you Shiru, and thanks AtariTufty.
Re 'Paperboy' and 'In Space'.  Both of those make more sense when the images are there.

I rather enjoyed doing the projections behind the actors for Paperboy ( https://youtu.be/NfaNG0s9NtA ).
And "In Space" used a program I'd written on the Spectrum to animate the invaders (which were projected).  ( https://youtu.be/yA1YsavxTCU ) this video was me practicing with my program - tapping '1' in time to move the invaders, and 'O and P' to make them 'speak'.  (plus '2' to turn on the third invader, and 'I' to make him speak, then '3' to finish).  https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmvYCHV8PMQkgwmkzVk8HSC5Yr9A  (My .z80 file here)

32 (edited by jumperror 2019-11-13 20:35:16)

Hi, my name is Pedro Pimenta aka Jumperror, I come from Portugal and I joined this forum by recommendation of AtariTufty.
First I should say, I'm quite new to all this, at least compared to most (if not all) people I've met lately in the Speccy scene.
I was born in '92, so I heard about the Spectrum somewhat recently and only bought my first one about five years ago.

I've been making music for some time, all self-taught, and ended up making music for my first game in 2016.
Last year, I was challenged by a friend to start making music for the Speccy, so I started learning how to do it and slowly I got into my first game, then I joined the vibrant Spectrum game-making community and have been making music for several games, you can see most of what I've been doing here (in chronological order from the first to the most recent game):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd2cZk4UFKw

In the beggining I used to work more with the beeper, but lately I've been making only AY music. Now, because Tufty introduced me to this great community, I've become more interested in getting back to the beeper and trying to make the most out of it.

Here you can see two of my ZX Spectrum Beeper works (and for some other platforms also):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL7VS0ctDtc

I've also been trying recently to expand to other systems, already did some music for the MSX, Atari ST (see a demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3v5gTwRHeQ) and more recently Amstrad CPC, but what I love most are the more limited systems, I really enjoy challenges.

I'm glad I've found this community, I had no idea there where 1bit physical music releases, live sets and so many people doing great music, it's a pleasure to join you all.

Hi Jumperror, welcome to the forum. Wow, you're doing a lot of cool stuff! Glad to have you aboard. Looking forward to hearing more 1-bit (and other) tracks from you. I'm curious what you could come up with on some of the newer beeper engines. If you have any questions feel free to ask anytime.

Nice musics! Welcome here! Do you also have an account on Battle of the Bits?

Hi Pedro

Welcome aboard. Great to see you here smile

When you've finished with beepola it's time to explore the truly amazing new engines in 1tracker and Bintracker written by Shiru and utz.

All the links are available in the forum. Everyone is a fan of AY stuff too.

Love your Mike the guitar qchan track smile

36 (edited by jumperror 2019-11-17 16:16:31)

First of all, thanks for the warm welcome!
I'm really happy to know you like what I've been doing. smile

Right now I just use Vortex Tracker and Beepola (also Arkos tracker lately), but while Vortex is an amazing program I feel like I could do more with the Beeper, because I think Beepola is quite limited.
Utz mentioned new beeper engines, so where should I look first to know more about that?
I don't know any others aside from the ones in Beepola, so I have to ask why doesn't beepola have more of these new engines and which trackers currently use them?

To answer to Garvalf, no I don't have an account there. Actually I never made any music for demos or competitions and because I'm usually busy making music for games I haven't made much music outside that lately.
But it looks interesting, will try and join later.

Tufty, thanks for telling me about this forum, I will be taking a look at Bintracker first, it seems easier to get into. 1tracker's interface is very minimal, reminds me of monotone. Honestly, looking at it, I don't even know where to start smile

1tracker definitely has the widest selection of beeper engines, including many modern ones.

I don't recommend Bintracker. It's buggy, and those bugs won't be fixed either. I'm working on a completely new version of it (see https://bintracker.org), but it's not ready yet.

1tracker can be a bit intimidating at first, but once you get used to its somewhat unusual workflow, you'll find that it's a very efficient and well thought-out tool. It doesn't use a sequence/order list, so you don't ever edit your sequence manually. Instead, you have one endless pattern that you can break into sections by hitting Space. You can navigate between sections with the Home and End keys. You'll be copy/pasting a lot so remember those keys as well: Shift + arrow keys or Home/End marks a selection, then Ctrl+C/X/V to copy/cut/paste WITHOUT shifting the following content, or Shift+X/V to cut/paste and shift the following content. Other important keys: Ctrl-+/- or Numpad +/- to increase/decrease the speed, Numpad *// to increase/decrease the base octave (or Shift+number to select octave), Ctrl+U/D/O/K to transpose selection up/down by a semitone/by an octave. On engines that have instruments, +/- cycles through instruments on the instrument screen (F4). Ctrl+F10 quits. F5 is play/stop, hold Enter to play from current row.

Hey, party people! smile

I do a bit of dev work on the Laser 200 aka VZ200.. same as Bushy who has posted on here in the past.

Hope to do a few little tunes and see if I can get it playing on our platform. I know NOTHING about music so please don't expect too much haha!

Thanks for letting me into your world. smile

Ha, the VZ gang is growing big_smile Your SDL port of VZEM might come in very handy wink
Anyway welcome, great to have you aboard.

Hello, i have not much to offer. my own sound code it 4-bits for ay. Bit i like asm and z80 code and hope to learn here. I made 2 or 3 dis-assemblies from 1bit speech. there is a 'crosover' routine that uses ay for its 1bit speech , its called "ble-ble' i think.

Hoi Crisis, welkom wink Weren't you also experimenting with beeper sound on 16K/contended memory a while ago?

cborn wrote:

Hello, i have not much to offer. my own sound code it 4-bits for ay. Bit i like asm and z80 code and hope to learn here. I made 2 or 3 dis-assemblies from 1bit speech. there is a 'crosover' routine that uses ay for its 1bit speech , its called "ble-ble' i think.

Hi Utz, not perse 1bit sound but i try to make a spot in it.
but its more the thoughed.
with a 224 scanline procedure you could have a 1 bit sound sqeuch
with about 320 scanlines and 50  frames thats only about 16,000  BITS per second,equ 1,8 KB per second ??

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. If you want you can write in Dutch, then I'll translate.

Hi Utz
if i try to make one OUT (254) per scanline then that should give a hiss sound of about 1.5KB per second.

eg this is the start off the interrupt from Bordertron for 16k

; time counter
A_halt            ld a,128            ;  7t        background colour
                  out (254),a         ; 11t[4,3,4] contended
                  ld hl,23672         ; 10t 
                  inc (hl)            ; 11t        256*1/50 sec max =5.12 seconds
                  jr nz,nsec          ; 12t 7+11+10+11+12=52
t2a  equ 7 +11 +10 +11 +12
                                      ; -5t
                  inc hl              ;  6t
                  inc (hl)            ; 11t
                  jr nz,nmin          ; 12t -5+6+11+12=24  = 21.84 minute
t2b  equ 6 +11 +12 -5
t2zx  equ  -5  +6 +11 +12   ; pasmo BUGGED RESULT ! the '-' sign is added AS LAST SUM INFLUENCE by which a false negative number is created !! https://worldofspectrum.org/forums/discussion/comment/967124/#Comment_967124
                                      ; -5t
                  inc hl              ;  6t
                  inc (hl)            ; 11t if 255 aswel, 93.20 hour =3.88 day's are done!
                  jr tdone            ; 12t -5+6+11+12=24
t2c  equ 6 +11 +12 -5

nsec              jr $+2  ;12t
                  jr $+2  ;12t=24
t2b2  equ 12+12
nmin              jr $+2  ;12t
                  jr $+2  ;12t=24
tdone:

t2c2  equ 12+12
t2 equ t2a + t2b + t2c  ;  =99t in 26 bytes
A_tc2  equ A_tc1 + t2

;big key check here
                  ld hl,keys+8        ;10t
                  ld de,keys2+8       ;10t to old key
                  ld bc,8             ;10t
                  lddr                ; 8*21-5 t=163t

inc hl              ; 6t 
                  ld bc,0xfefe        ;10t
ky                in a,(c)            ;12t 8 x contended 
                  ld (hl),a           ; 7t
                  inc hl              ; 6t
                  rlc b               ; 8t
                  jp c,ky             ;10t
                                      ;   10+10+10+(8*21)-5 +6+10+ 8*(12+7+6+8+10)= 553 tstate = 2.46875 scanline !!

Now i want to place that OUT 254 on the correct spot for a steady 224 tstate steprate. probably with an EXX. but, thats just the thought.

Did you check out AMP16k already?

Hi there,

I'm Andy, based in the UK. I am an old school Sinclair fan, growing up with the work of Tim Follin, David Whittaker and Ben Daglish.

At the moment I'm designing a new Z80-based computer, with an 8Mhz processor and a 1-bit audio path. I'm trying to figure out the best audio routine to show it off, but still haven't quite got my head around converting for the different CPU speeds - the core frequencies aren't too bad, but when there are effects and tempo to consider as well, my head explodes!

I'll pop some details of the circuits in the other forum if people are interested - it has a simple one transistor amplifier and cellphone speaker so though it's not the loudest, it should be able to play some interesting music.

Hi Andy, welcome aboard. We aren't the most busy place on the internet, so replies might be a bit slow to come in at times. Please don't let the deter you from posting though, I'm definitely interested in your project!

Welcome to the forum Andy. As utz says, not the busiest forum but we do check regularly and always great to see new members.
A mine of invaluable info is available here in relation to 1-bit sound and engines.

Hi, I'm bataais. Great forum! I'm doing 1-8bit sound/video hardware since 2004, my first gadget was BitBug, a randomizing 1bit beat machine. Mostly PIC assembler stuff, but also did some PAL60 hacks for Atari 2600, and Videopac.. If you're interested have a look at some of my weird coding here: https://bataais.blogspot.com

Hello there bataais, welcome aboard! I'm liking a lot what I'm seeing on your blog. Our forum is mostly about music as you can see, but I'm very interested to hear more about your video projects as well.