Re: HoustonTracker 2 (TI-82/83/83+/84+)

Hey, sorry for the double post but I remembered I had a better calculator that wasn't 7 years old and dysfunctional. This one seems to be recording much better. While I'm not sure if the ringing is 100% gone, as it still sounds a bit better to me with headphones directly going into the calculator, the audio is nowhere near as off as before.

102

Re: HoustonTracker 2 (TI-82/83/83+/84+)

Hi, this makes me think, since you're not the first to report this "ringing" problem. I think what might be happening is that there could be an unhealthy clash between HT's sample rate and the sample rate of the recording device. Though I see you already recorded at 48 KHz, which in theory should be enough to mitigate such issues. Still, try to record at 44.1 KHz just to see what happens.
Also, the usual advice - a fresh set of batteries will improve the sound. Furthermore, it appears that some mixers/recording devices are too "noisy" (ie. they leak too much phantom voltage) whichwill cause slowdown on some calcs. Does your calc appear to play faster with headphones plugged in vs. your line-in?

Re: HoustonTracker 2 (TI-82/83/83+/84+)

guess who found a working ti83 in the local charity shop for £10 tongue   ht2.30 works like a dream on it - think that's my commute to work activity sorted for a good couple of weeks at least! just wanted to say thanks once again for a great piece of software and for showing me how to make tunes on it last year. hopefully i'll have something made in time for winter chip that's currently on (if they add wildchip category, that is)

Re: HoustonTracker 2 (TI-82/83/83+/84+)

I guess my previous post didn't go through. I have a TI-82 and a TI-GRAPH LINK USB and am trying to get HT2 running. I keep getting errors about the computer not being able to find the device. Anyone run into that?

105

Re: HoustonTracker 2 (TI-82/83/83+/84+)

Hi, I need some more info. Which transferrer software are you using and what OS are you on?
Also, plug a sound cable into your calc and confirm that you are getting a low humming noise on both stereo channels.

Re: HoustonTracker 2 (TI-82/83/83+/84+)

utz wrote:

Hi, I need some more info. Which transferrer software are you using and what OS are you on?
Also, plug a sound cable into your calc and confirm that you are getting a low humming noise on both stereo channels.

Hey utz, thanks for replying. I'm on Windows 10, running TiLP (and have GTK 2.24). I don't have a 2.5mm headset, but I can confirm that when I plug in the USB cable, Windows does identify it as "TI-GRAPH LINK USB" but also says "the drivers for this device are not installed."

I do have an olllld Linux netbook. I thought maybe if I can't get this working on the Windows machine, I'll try on Linux.

107

Re: HoustonTracker 2 (TI-82/83/83+/84+)

You need to force USB driver installation with Zadig. See the TiLP Windows readme for details. If that doesn't work, then yeah maybe it's easier to use that Linux netbook. Anyway, let me know if you have any success with the Zadig thing, so I can perhaps add a note to the HT manual about this.

Re: HoustonTracker 2 (TI-82/83/83+/84+)

utz wrote:

You need to force USB driver installation with Zadig. See the TiLP Windows readme for details. If that doesn't work, then yeah maybe it's easier to use that Linux netbook. Anyway, let me know if you have any success with the Zadig thing, so I can perhaps add a note to the HT manual about this.

Damn, I skipped over that part of the Readme. I had read the part about what to do if you have installed the official TI software and stopped. Whoops!

I installed Zadig, installed the driver they mentioned in the TiLP readme, and my laptop now says that the calculator has a driver installed. However, now when I run TiLP, I can't figure out how to have it bring up my TI-82. I've done their scan and tried changing through all the ports but it's not coming up. This process is making me feel super stupid hahaha

109

Re: HoustonTracker 2 (TI-82/83/83+/84+)

Just hard-set everything in the "Change Device" dialogue. So cable = SilverLink, port is #1 (usually), calc is TI-82, of course. I think TiLP doesn't auto-detect the 82. Or do everything via command line
tilp ti82 SilverLink CRASH.82B
which usually gives more useful error messages anyway.

Re: HoustonTracker 2 (TI-82/83/83+/84+)

utz wrote:

Just hard-set everything in the "Change Device" dialogue. So cable = SilverLink, port is #1 (usually), calc is TI-82, of course. I think TiLP doesn't auto-detect the 82. Or do everything via command line
tilp ti82 SilverLink CRASH.82B
which usually gives more useful error messages anyway.

Thanks for your patience on this - I'm in! I kept getting weird errors along the way (command prompt was saying another driver wasn't installed) and TiLP would either just stare back at me or give me "null" errors. But I just had to keep reading and re-reading. Thanks again for walking me through!

111

Re: HoustonTracker 2 (TI-82/83/83+/84+)

Glad to hear that. Could you tell me what exactly you had to do to get it working in the end? Generally TiLP+Win10 seems to be rather wonkey, so it might be a good idea to document user's findings in the manual.