Topic: talk about mainframe music history

Did a talk about music on mainframes 1949-1965 at the Vintage Computing Festival Berlin last weekend. Nothing new if you've been keeping an eye on the 1-bit timeline post, but anyway, here you go:

https://media.ccc.de/v/vcfb18_-_90_-_en … ames_-_utz

Re: talk about mainframe music history

it's always great to watch your speeches smile

Anyway, it sounds like there is only your voice and not the musical examples, which is a pity, for example at 26' there is no sound.

Thx wink Yes, sound and video examples were not recorded for copyright reasons, but you can find all the examples over at the 1-bit timeline post (which I've been updating quite a bit lately).

I watched this yesterday and it's great!  I think you effectively make the case that the mainframe era wasn't all business and that a bit of creative music-making fun was part of what we should remember about it too. Have you given other talks?  I'd love to see them.

Thanks! I've given a few talks over the years, though I'm not sure if there are any recordings out there. Not that you'd want to see the ones from 15 years ago anyway yikes Would like to give more talks in the future, in any case.