Topic: new engine: Squat

Made a new engine, inspired and highly influenced by Squeeker and various utz's developments.

- 4 channels of tone, each channel has its own duty cycle
- Noise mode for the last tone channel
- Noise percussion, 9 pitches of noise at 4 volumes
- 7 non-interrupting sampled drums

It is implemented in 1tracker (silent update, please redownload), complete with drum samples importing.

website - 1bit music - other music - youtube - bandcamp - patreon - twitter (latest news there)

Re: new engine: Squat

Wow, missed this post about the new squat engine.

Just tried it on 1-tracker and compiled the two demo songs to .tap versions.

Excellent engine, love the sound, drums and noise capability smile

Hell yeah! A great addition to the ZX beeper library. Excellent sound, very balanced. Squeeker method is fun, eh? Also great to see rlc (hl) being put to some good use. I'm always drooling over this instruction, but somehow can never find a good place to apply it... Another one that I'd love to abuse is rld/rrd. It has to be good for something...

4 (edited by garvalf 2017-09-08 09:57:08)

I'm just wondering if it's this engine which was used in this tune, could you confirm please?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYjnT4ABB9V/

@Utz do you have this awesome song somewhere so we can listen to it?

Sorry, I'm keeping that under wraps till my new Spectrum album comes out (probably in Spring 2018 as things stand now). I'll send you the .tap, though, if you like wink

oh, ok, no problem, I understand that. But I'm very glad to learn it will be included into an album because this tune is wonderful! So you don't mind this little extract is on instagram? (It's only 15 or 20 seconds). I'd really like to get the .tap if you don't mind. I won't spread it of course!

Sure, no prob about the instagram thingy. Hope to do some more works with this engine as well because it rocks!

Shiru, one feature request, would it be possible to automatically detect&cut silence at the end of samples for the 1tracker import?

Yes, import function is part of each engine script, frontend only provides file selection dialog. I just reused the same import function over and over again, as it was designed for Phaser3.

website - 1bit music - other music - youtube - bandcamp - patreon - twitter (latest news there)