Topic: ZX spectrum on bare-metal Pi

I missed this one, it looks very interesting for beeper music. I haven't tested it yet though.

http://zxmini.speccy.org/

ZXBaremulator is the first complete ZX Spectrum 48K bare-metal emulator for the Raspberry Pi computers.

Emulator features

- Support all Raspberry Pi models (A, B, A+, B+, 2, 3, Zero).
- Includes 55 classic 48K Spectrum games.
-  Precise Z80 emulation (undocumented opcodes, hidden WZ register, bits 3-5 from 'F' register).
-  Precise Spectrum 48k emulation (full border, real-time screen drawing without double buffer, contended memory, floating bus, hi-res color effects).
-  Kempston joystick emulation using a PS3 DualShock gamepad in USB mode (no Bluetooth supported).
- Accelerated tape loading from virtual TZX tapes (when possible). Original tape loaders are preserved.
Beeper emulation using the PI PWM capabilities, present on 3.5mm socket (no HDMI sound, sigh!).
-  No Linux needed!. Super-fast loading from µSD.

Re: ZX spectrum on bare-metal Pi

I've just tested it. It works rather well:

- instant boot
- easy to use
- all the games I tried were working

but for music lovers, there are some drawbacks:

- for general tap with loading code, unless you add some pause at the beginning, it will cut 1/2 second of the music when it loads, I don't know why
- all the engines I've tried seems to replay well, at the correct speed. However, on some of them, there is a high carrier noise in the background
- it's a pure zx48, so no AY music sad

It's a very cool project anyway.

Nice project, bummer about the sound emulation. Might be worth a try porting it to the C.H.I.P, though the timing issues on that machine will probably ruin the emulation.

For the sound, I guess building a kind of new output to bypass the jack, with a low pass filter could maybe do the job, I guess there is one on the original ZX?

For the late beginning of the song, probably contacting the author of this project.

ZXBaremulator uses the core from JSpeccy, which iirc has the same problems with beeper sound. Sound from the Pi itself should be fine.