76 (edited by garvalf 2016-10-25 19:52:06)

Re: HoustonTracker 2 (TI-82/83/83+/84+)

I think it's my recording which is not very clean (direct line in into a computer). Probably the drums saturate too much.

Imma post my old super mario main theme cover!
https://soundcloud.com/damn-dull-giako/ … ator-music

Ahahaha, yes! Me <3 Speedcore. Also, this is a whole new level of "Mario on a rave" big_smile

Woah, it's been more than a year since i started composing on ht2. I swear, i kept using this awesome tracker and i completely forget how to Lsdj. big_smile Guess it's time for me to record all my music, i just need to build a filter for the ultra high frequencies that my calc has.
Quick suggestion: why not adding somewhere on the screen the current savestate number? Everytime i compose for a long time, i completely forget in what savestate i'm working and sometime i've accidentally overwritten a song.

Good suggestion, that might indeed be useful. I think I had thought about it at some point, but completely forgot along the way. I'll put it on my to-do list for 2.30 wink

https://pixelflood.bandcamp.com/track/c … pace-alien
New HT2 track! This time, in free download with many other chiptunes from Italy.
Happy holidays y'all!

Finally got around to listening to this properly. Awesome track, love that grinding fx at the end!

Talkin' bout da tracker at Revision last weekend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UgSDAkXAJw
Rather technical, with a lot of uhhm and ehhm, and a failed demonstration of the QED68 sound routine at the end.

Really great video, was very interesting to watch.

Never was able to make my TI calc connect to PC, and it eventually bricked out on its own by just laying around (not powering on no matter what), so I never was able to see the thing in action. As I understand from the docs, the only way of data exchange in HT2 is the save states, i.e. loading/saving snapshot back and forth by the OS/linking software means. However, as the tracker naturally uses the I/O port as an audio output, it could be also used for a 'tape save' routine to store songs data to an external media (any modern audio recording device) quite easily. Such feature could be handy for frequent backup purposes.

website - 1bit music - other music - youtube - bandcamp - patreon - twitter (latest news there)

Thanks! I had initially planned on implementing this, but ultimately abandoned the idea, mostly because of my lack of experience in coding such a system. At the current stage, it would be quite tricky to add, because there's just a few hundred bytes of memory left. And there's actually a few other features that I still want to implement (advanced live mode, better copy/paste/clone support), so I'd rather spend the remaining bytes on this. I might consider it again at some point, but at the moment I'd rather try to convince the TiLP guys to try and add Android support, which would probably solve the problem for many people as well.

Btw, a call for action to everyone: Please do test the latest beta versions from github. There are a couple of nasty issues which I need to sort out before I can progress further. So far I've had no luck with these, so any input on them is highly appreciated.

Hello HT2 friends, I've uploaded a new beta version (2.24) to the github repo. Fixed a major bug in the keyhandler which was probably responsible for a whole range of stability issues, and added a "loop pattern" playback function (accessible with [ALPHA][(-)]. Provided there are no bugs, this will become the next stable release. Please do test and report any bugs you find.

Also note that the html documentation is no longer updated. For HT2.3, there'll be a new fancy pdf manual. The current draft is attached below.

Post's attachments

manual.pdf 328.89 kb, 2 downloads since 2017-05-17 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

This is GREAt to read, it's good to know that you are still developing the tracker! One month ago someone stole my backpack with all my "calculator gears" inside, but yesterday couple of friends gave me a mint TI 82 stats fr. I can't wait for my greylink to come, i want to try the new version of Ht2!

Man, sucks to hear your stuff got stolen. But great to hear that doesn't discourage you!

89 (edited by mark_lyken 2017-05-22 19:15:23)

Picked up a TI-84 Plus Silver for cheap. Can't wait to get Houston onto it!
Thought it would be great fun, especially when I'm travelling.
Noticed the tasm_on_calc allows one to program directly in assembly?
It would be ace to be able make some tunes and mess about with assembly on the same device - unless it's one or the other.
Guess I'll find out once I start reading the bits and bobs.

Haven't tried tasm_on_calc, but judging from the readme, it might not be very useful. It only implements a small subset of commands, and a lot of important stuff like logic, 16-bit arithmetic, relative jumps, and data directives aren't implemented at all. That said, the 84+ can be programmed natively in machine code. So you can always write your asm code on paper, and translate it by hand wink Quite tedious, but it's doable for small projects.

Houstontracker takes up most of the available RAM. However, on the 84+, you can always stuff things into the Flash archive to make room in the RAM. So it's certainly possible to use the same calc for music tracking and asm experiments.

Ah, good to know on the tasm_on_calc front.  I'll look into the Flash archive once the calc arrives. Ha, Ha, well, maybe as a technical/training excercise translating machine code by hand might be useful (shudders...) smile

92 (edited by Das Wakechip 2018-02-04 12:58:47)

Hi,

Is there any differences between the sound of all calculators? (TI-82/83/83+/84+) If there is some differences what is the one with the best sound? I noticed on my TI83+ that I have a high frequency wich was always here. But when I put it on my ROLLS MX41b (tiny mix table) then I don't have this sound. Maybe there is a filter on my rolls mx41b? I think not but... it works

Thank's for this awesome tracker :-)

Yes, there are sound differences, though it's hard to say which one has the "best" sound. There is also a factor that might be even more relevant than the model: The battery level. It has a direct impact on the CPU speed. And that again directly affects things like pitch, and sound quality. When batteries get low, you get more bass, but worse sound quality. If you get a high frequency beep, you can try some fresh batteries, and the situation should improve.

94 (edited by Das Wakechip 2018-02-05 18:27:35)

Oh, ok. But for my high frequency problem, I must say that I use fresh batteries and the problem is here :-(

95 (edited by Das Wakechip 2018-02-06 14:07:58)

I have to say that I used TI connect for install HT2 and not TILP. On TILP it never worked (I didn't have TI connect installed when I tryed with TILP). I tryed all I can do, on windows 7 with TILP... But nothing... So after searches on google I found TI connect and it worked. I used a grey silverlink cable.

For your needs, TI Connect is perfectly ok. It's mainly TI-82 users who will have problems with it.
Ok, so regarding the high frequency problem, I can only say hopefully things will be better in the upcoming version. Until then just use that mini-mixer wink ... I always put a bit of EQ on as well. TI isn't like, say, Gameboy, where you can have good sound pretty much out of the box.

By the way, if you are a Linux user, building the development version of HT2 is pretty straightforward. However, at the moment the keyhandler is somewhat unstable. Once I have fixed it, I will provide some new beta builds on here, too.

utz wrote:

TI isn't like, say, Gameboy, where you can have good sound pretty much out of the box.

Well, with backlight and prosound modifications it's not completly out of the box ^^ but yea... But I don't think the calculator 1bit sound is worse... it's just different

I use linux, but I don't use Terminal much (just apt-get update and things like that) I don't know how to code :-)

If you know how to apt-get, it's actually quite simple.

1) sudo apt-get install pasmo git
2) cd path/to/where/you/want/to/have/houstontracker
3) git clone https://github.com/utz82/HoustonTracker2.git
4) ./build.sh

That's all. If ./build.sh will not run then do "chmod a+x build.sh" before step 4.

That said, I have version 2.30 ready and will release it in a few days.

Ho ho ho! HT 2.30 just hit the streets! Check out the introduction video and this crappy demo tune. And of course download the new version big_smile

Changelog:

NEW/CHANGES
- note table tuned to ~440 Hz (and some notes produce more useful noise fx as a result)
- ch2 duty sweep (5xx, xx > 0x80) now has a configurable parameter (xx & 0x7f)
- effect 7xx (auto-chord) now has two modes: unsynced (regular) and synced (octave chord)
- channel volumes rebalanced
- slowed down ch3 slides, 3xx now works like 2xx (xx is no longer inverse)
- 9xx no longer disables 3xx
- new effect: ch3 grind (enabled with 6xx, xx>0x80)
- old Axx has been ditched
- new Axx effect: set phase offset ch3
- Synth Mode: hold current row
- add display of last used savestate
- add pattern loop playback mode

BUGFIXES
- fixed user drum input glitch
- fixed major bug in keyhandler
- reset player when clearing worktune

Also made a fancy new pdf manual which is included in the download, as well as garvalf's handy cheat sheet. Haven't updated htutil yet but the one from v2.20 should work for 2.30 as well.

Hi, do you have any tips for recording HT2 tunes as audio files? I just got this working on my TI84+SE and I'm having a lot of fun with it, but when I try to record it through my comp's line-in the sound has this really harsh high pitched ringing, and the whole thing seems a little distorted. Neither of those things happen when I just listen with my headphones plugged directly into the calculator, but I double checked to make sure my cables and computer were working fine otherwise, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Here's an example of what I'm getting as a recording: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yA1-pW … sp=sharing

Thanks for making such a cool app by the way!! I can't believe I get to incorporate my high school calculator into chiptunes now haha tongue