Topic: qaop samples

I am writing some software utilities for making qaop TAP's, one of them is sample generator, which takes more or less complex sounds in WAV and converts them to 8-bit unsigned 44100Hz unsigned headerless RAW's. Not sure if I convert the samples (all less than one second in duration) correctly, or using too complex material, any tips what kind of sounds works best with qaop, should I go with simple waves instead of complex percussion/FX/etc stuff.

Thanks smile !

Re: qaop samples

Samples for qaop must be exactly 256 bytes long. So simple waveforms will work best.
Also, volume range is limited to 6 steps in total (ie for both channels combined). You can overdrive up to 12 levels, if this limit is exceeded the player will malfunction. Nominal sample rate is 15625 Hz.

Yes, I am aware the sample length, using wav2smp.pl for converting. I assume it is raw headerless which Perl script converts, trying to find best (textural) samples, with limits we have here smile !

Ah ok, gotcha. Yes, wav2smp.pl takes raw headerless 8-bit, it doesn't really care about sample rate iirc. But I faintly remember there was a problem with that script, so it possibly produces incorrect results. I'll look into it if I can find some free time. You might as well write your own replacement. It's also possible to directly use raw wav (with the usual limitation of volume resolution), all you need to do is change the INCLUDE statements in samples.asm to INCBIN statements.

As far as textures go, I think besides basic waveforms, some simple percussion instruments (kicks, hi-hats) should also be possible to pull off. For anything more complex the 256b limit and especially the low volume resolution will probably prevent any recognizable results.