Topic: beepola on Linux

When I'm using beepola on Linux, sometimes the sound turns very bad, it begins ok then after a while there are some echo and it's distorded (if you've used Citizens band radio it's the same when someone is not on the right frequency, but you can sometimes get this effect on Voice over IP phones when the connection is bad). First I thought it was only because of pulseaudio (when I killed this annoying process, the sound was often better), but even on computer without pulseaudio I get this as well.

I'm wondering if it's not the buffer (we can't increase it).

Any idea how to help gettng a better sound?

Re: beepola on Linux

Can't help with that, sorry. I have a WinXP install just for running Beepola and some legacy tools yikes Other than that, blaming pulseaudio would have been my first response as well big_smile

It should be possible to increase the buffer size through ALSA. Looked it up a while ago when somebody was having troubles with something on cm.org, but forgot all about it. Worth doing some digging in that direction though.

3 (edited by garvalf 2016-05-17 22:07:04)

Re: beepola on Linux

I didn't know it was possible to change alsa buffer size. It seems I need to recompile the whole thing though...
I'll test further.
In the console I don't even get a "ALSA buffer xrun" or something like this.

On one computer (the one with pulseaudio, can't get rid of it on this one, probably I need to reinstall the whole system), if I start jackd on a low latency kernel (there I can increase the buffer), I won't get any sound at all with beepola. I'm not really convinced of the jack system either...
I remember some years ago, I switched to OSS, it seemed more reliable, and worked better than alsa (and pulseaudio was not "invented" back then)