Topic: ZX Spectrum Next

http://www.specnext.com/

Have you guys seen this new development ?

It seems Speccy fever is in full swing smile

Another lovely design by Rick Dickinson!

Re: ZX Spectrum Next

Looks pretty damn stylish. Too bad it's "just" another FPGA box, but yeah, with that design even I am tempted wink

It's going to have AY and FM sound, switchable from a boot screen.  Cool.

And you can plug real hardware into it.  It has a fully capable edge connector.

Simulates all Sinclair, Amstrad, Timex models, and Jupiter Ace too.

I want one.  But it may be too expensive for me.  Probably around £180.

Do you know if the AY and FM are made in fpga as well or if you can put a real AY chip in it? Anyway, in the case it can use expansions, we can always plug a real one into it (card such as Wonder AY are quite cheap).

I will probably not buy it (I already have a MiST), but it's very cool. I'm not very found of the design but it's well done anyway and quite faithful to the Sinclair spirit.

5 (edited by Shiru 2016-05-04 13:02:22)

Maybe I'm a bit behind, but to my recent knowledge there was no OPN implementations out there, not even for Sega Genesis FPGA replicas (they had no sound at all). It is quite unlikely someone managed to create good YM2203 FPGA implementation just for such rare sound expansion, the chip is more complex than the whole ZX Spectrum, and even trickier to get it done near-perfect. So I see two possibilities - the thing is a software emulator, then it can have FM emulation; the thing is FPGA implementation, then it lacks FM.

website - 1bit music - other music - youtube - bandcamp - patreon - twitter (latest news there)

The only details at the moment is Audio AY-3-8912 or FM2149 chips (selectable) with stereo output.

Einar Saukas posted some details here, he's in contact with the author Victor Trucco:
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/discussion/52606

FM2149 is actually called YM2149, not related to FM sound (synthesis) at all.

website - 1bit music - other music - youtube - bandcamp - patreon - twitter (latest news there)

8 (edited by mark_lyken 2017-05-20 14:53:44)

Hi Folks, I think the sound specs are yet to be 100% nailed but it is FPGA (SLX16) and is being billed as "TurboSound Next" with 3x AY-3-8912 + 2 x YM2413 FM (playable in sync) with stereo output. There is chat of a SID being included too which I assumed would cause a riot when I heard about it but was met with a generally favourable response. Expansion port for chip sound cards etc. 1mb of RAM as standard, HDMI, SD CARD (DivMMC). A "Just the Board" version available on the kickstarer for £99 delivered in August which fits in original Speccy case. Fancy cased version delivers in January. I should say I'm just quoting the sound specs I've gleaned from the Next FB group, I have no idea what it takes to implement any of it!

Holy moly, over 720,000 GBP! Don't think anybody saw that coming. Well deserved though, imo this really is the Speccy of the future.

10 (edited by mark_lyken 2017-05-23 09:26:11)

I know right? Can't believe it.
I've never followed a campaign so closely before, it's been a long but exhilarating couple of weeks + the time since it was first announced last year.
I pledged for an accelerated Next + a board. Nice that that board fits in the old speccy case too. If all is well the board ships in August.

Interesting video (below) from Jim Bagley where he talks about his vision for the Next as a standalone programing environment.
I think Jim has updated Zeus (which is included) with new instructions specific to the Next. It's exactly what I wanted to hear.

There was only a couple of us suggesting alternative sound specs but in the end their preference & size of the FPGA dicated their choices.
Victor did suggest he could design an external sound card in future, although he may have just been trying to shut me up ha,ha! Lyndon Sharp said he is working on a new tracker.

JB'S Q&A here: https://youtu.be/WQSgKp1B4xU

Yeah, programming natively on the thing is what I'm most looking forward to. As far as sound goes, I think the current specs are great already. And there's always the chance for an updated firmware later on wink

Also what? The Lyndon Sharp is active? I've been trying to get in touch with the man for ages, to no avail. He briefly popped up on WorldofSpectrum a while ago, but nobody gave a damn (unsurprisingly, as many people with a serious interest in Speccy things have left that place after the new management took over), so he disappeared from there again. If you could manage to reach out to him and lure him here, that'd be awesome. Not sure if he even knows that there are people actively using his beeper sound routine nowadays...

12 (edited by mark_lyken 2017-05-23 13:43:01)

True.

Yeah, I assume it's the same LS. He's a member the Next Facebook group.
I asked his opinion during the discussions about sound on the Next. There was chat around the YM2413 FM being replaced with the YM2608 or the YM2203 until Victor T pointed out there simply wasn't enough LE's available to bring about any of the big FM chips.
Lyndon said: "I'd be happy with the 2413's big brother, the 3812. same but with 9 independent wave and adsr control rather just the global one."

Like I say, I don't know him but can certainly send him a message and point him in this direction.

Sent him a message. Fingers crossed.

Thanks!

Did you have this discussion before they upgraded to the SLX16? Maybe at least OPL2 will be possible after all, who knows wink On the other hand, I'll probably stick to the beeper anyways. I need those limitations, with FM I'd just be stuck tweaking sounds all day.

15 (edited by mark_lyken 2017-05-23 19:06:02)

Nah, post SLX16.

Ha, ha, I know what you mean on the FM front!

Folks questions and Victor's answers from various points in the thread.

Q:How much LEs takes SID implementation in Next
A:SID implementation 900 LEs. AY, 600 each.

Unfortunately, "big" FMs, only at external bus,
I tested one with more than 50000LEs, but cant remember which FM now.

Q:There is also ePSG8192? http://passionoric.free.fr/eng/project/hsound.htm

A:This is a well known project and have already tested it personally (and probably any other you find). This particularly occupies 35000 LEs, (remember Next had only 9000 and now about 16000 LEs). This ic ALONE already occupies the space of two Nexts. And this VDHL source is still incomplete, missing the ADPCM part.

A:Anyway, I'll be happy to design an open hardware interface with real FM ICs. And Piotr Bugaj can assemble and distribute if he want or anyone can order then PCBs from OSH Park and assemble at home.

A:Unfortunately it's not a catalog where we will simply choose a sound ic and it will be there. The YM2413 was chosen for a number of factors: open code, integration with existing synthesis, space occupied and how much it could add to the sound interface.

A:SID was included for the same reasons the YM2413 was selected. SAA and SN76489 likely to be included also, same reasons

Q:What language is the core written in VHDL?

A:Was written in VHDL, but really doesn´t matter. The synthesis is made "compiling" the sources. Can be VHDL, Verilog, Schematic, whatever... (you can mix all together). And you get a bitstream file on the end, to program the FPGA

A:3 separate AYs = 9 channels, plus SID, another 3 channels, plus FM, another 9 channels. Turbosound Next is compatible with current TS and extend some functionalities to the new ICs

A:Unfortunately, for a better sound than we have today, only with an external interface, as Piotr has already pointed out. ...I know that it is not possible to bring any of these CIs to the project because they simply don't fit into the logical units available on FPGA. It's not me who doesn't want to have the best for the project, it´s just the task can't be achieved.

Thanks for the info. Seems that either way the Next will be totally overpowered in terms of sound capabilities yikes It's basically a chip orchestra-in-a-box at this point. Especially pleased to hear that SAA support is on the list. Now we just need a decent tracker for all of this...

Totally!
Lyndon S, did say he was working on something, not sure to what extent though.

Spectrum Next Portal is live if anyone is interested. http://www.specnext.com
Pasted below a post by Fabio Belavenuto, "How to put those lovely sound chips to do your biding."

TURBO SOUND NEXT

The internal Spectrum Next and TBBlue Turbo Sound Next interface implements three selectable PSGs, giving access to 9 sound channels plus 3 noise channels. Additionally we have the MOS IC 6581, the Sound Interface Device, aka ‘SID’.

The selection of the current sound IC is done by writing a value in the I/O port 0xFFFD, as below:

Bit 7 = “1”
Bit 6 = Left audio (“1” enabled, “0” disabled)
Bit 5 = Right audio (“1” enabled, “0” disabled)
Bit 4 = “1”
Bit 3 = “1”
Bit 2 = “1”
Bits 1 and 0 as

“’11”: Selects the first PSG (default);
“10”: Selects the second PSG;
“01”: Selects the third PSG.
“00”: Selects the SID.
For example, to select the second PSG, sound on both audio outs:

LD BC,0xFFFD
LD A, 0xFE ; 1111 1110 binary
OUT (C), A

To select SID on right audio only:

LD BC,0xFFFD
LD A, 0xBC ; 1011 1100 binary
OUT (C), A

Commands and data are sent to the standard I/O ports and will be redirected to the currently selected IC.

(to set a register)
LD BC, 0xFFFD
LD A, XX ; select the register: 0 to 15 for PSGs, 0 to 24 for SID
OUT (C), A

(to write to the selected register)
LD BC, 0xBFFD
LD A, XX ; the register value, 0 to 255
OUT (C),A

(to read a selected register)
LD BC, 0xBFFD
IN A,(C)

Awesome! Can't wait to see the full documentation for the Next. Guess I'll be writing a sound driver or two for this thing.

Sounds awesome! I've backed the next too, hope they leave the sid in (think it was just a test).

How do you think 1-bit engines like zbmod will sound on it?

Will port contention still be there if selecting 48k mode ?

Yeah, I think SID is here to stay wink Port contention will be there in 48k mode, though it can probably be disabled with a setting.
I'm curious how good the beeper sound will be. I expect it to be at least on par with what garvalf recorded from his MiST.

the main problem of the MiST is the DAC which is not made for great replay. The fpga arcade project seems better on this point (but I don't regret my MiST because I wanted something available right now):
http://www.fpgaarcade.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=107

Audio :
MIST    - Resistor/capacitor filter requiring delta-sigma code in FPGA.
REPLAY - Wolfson HIFI 192KHz 24bit DAC with dedicated analog supply

utz wrote:

The Lyndon Sharp is active? I've been trying to get in touch with the man for ages, to no avail.

Lyndon Sharp goes by the name Nodalmighty on the SpecNext forums.

He just quoted one of my posts here: http://www.specnext.com/forum/viewtopic … 0d7b#p1780

Ah, didn't know that was him yikes Been in touch with him via email in the meantime. Really looking forward to his sound driver. Might try to write a native tracker around it if I can find the time.

I've no idea if it will be possible to combine SID + AY yet.  The only doc at the moment is this : http://www.specnext.com/turbo-sound-next/

I'm sure lots of work would need to be done to use z80 to control the SID.  Maybe the z80 SID emulator people can help with this.

The SID was never controlled by the interrupt when I played with it.  And it had analog filters.  Not sure how the SpecNext is going to support that without adding a capacitor/resistor network for the filters.  It'd be rubbish in software.