Topic: Some Hardware Questions.

Hi there.

I'm working on some 1bit ZX spectrum things, with the intention of playing them (amplified) to an audience and wondered what the optimal hardware setup might be.

I have a plus 3, and can probably get a rubber keyed 48K machine, and a 128K model.

I don't know revision numbers of hardware, but the +3 appears to be running the 48K stuff at a slightly different speed (certainly to the Spectaculator emulator I've been using for development).  The +3 also sounds very distorted and lacking high end through the scart (I understand this is a known problem) - but does the 'tape out' suffer from the same problem on the +3?

How about the audio out on 128 or 48K models.  Any words of wisdom for those?

I'd prefer to use the read hardware, rather than emulation for the performance, but I don't want the sound to be compromised too much if I can help it.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Some Hardware Questions.

As far as beeper/tape-out is concerned, I've heard a lot of good things about the +3, though I don't own one so I have to take other people's words for it. Only ever used the rubber 48K myself, works just fine wink Wouldn't go for a 128K unless I wanted to use AY. 128K has different contention timings which may have some newer beeper engines end up sounding less clean than they should. +3 doesn't have this problem because there's no I/O contention on that machine.

Ah thank you.  So the distortion isn't a 'feature' of the tape out on the +3?  That could be really helpful actually.
I set up a rubber key one today, and it sounds great.  I'm really happy with that.  The distorted +3 scart audio really made me worried.

I think I like the rubber keyed one anyway - ideally I'd need two for the gig I'm planning (I'd feel safe that tunings between the two were likely to be the closest if it was the same model).  I've should dig out the DivIDE I've got somewhere.  That'd sort some of the 'loading' issues I'm likely to face. (I've been playing with a great loader app, that does .tap to turbo loaded accelerated wav).

If I'm not mistaken the tape out is indeed not affected.

DivIDE is definately a blessing for live shows. Loading through MIC can be very unreliable in noisy environments, especially when there is vibration from bass. Before I had one I used to bring a CD player to my gigs for loading. One of those bulky hifi ones, not a walkman, oh no, those won't cut it! big_smile Nowadays there's divMMC which is a fraction of the size of a divIDE and uses SD instead of CF. Haven't had a real reason to buy one but I am considering it as a backup in case my divIDE dies, which wouldn't be surprising after ~6 years of rather heavy use.

Annoyingly the tape out audio does appear distorted - though it isn't as apparent as the SCART out (which might be exacerbated by my telly speakers).

I've dug out my DivIDE.  That's a much nicer way to be getting things loaded.  I'm considering a divMMC now.  (For a second Speccy).

Ah, bummer. Well, y'always learn something new.
A google search for "spectrum +3 audio fix" turns up quite a few results though, so if you're handy with soldering you might be able to improve things.