Topic: plans for a 1-bit forum contest

Yeah, it's about time and I'm intending to launch it shortly, but before I do that I'd like to hear if you folks have any special requests/ideas for it.
My idea is to have 3 categories - Speccy+GTIA (think it makes sense to combine it into one category due to similarities in sound), Alternative Platforms (bascially anything that is not Speccy or Atari 8bit), and Code (aka write a new 1-bit engine). Well, that's the plan so far. What do you folks think? Considering Shiru's recent release, maybe we should add a "fake1bit" category as well?

Re: plans for a 1-bit forum contest

good idea: contests motivate people to create new things, so I'm in. Do you think it's relevant to make several categories?

I don't know if having several categories would be successful, but I'd like to give it a try wink I'd give a rather generous deadline, so people have enough time to dig a bit into the non-Spectrum tools.
Was even thinking about adding another category for 1K size limited tunes, so the "tiny" engines like Huby and ntropic get some love. Though that might indeed be overkill...

1K size limited, yes !

I like the idea of a 1k size limited category too smile

So I take it we'll have at least 3 entries for the 1K category? Alright then, I'll add it to the compo!

Is the point of launching a contest shortly is to bring more members on the forum? Because at the moment there is clearly not enough people even for one category.

website - 1bit music - other music - youtube - bandcamp - patreon - twitter (latest news there)

Yes, that's indeed the point. Well, one of them at least wink

Sometime I have a thought that it would be nice to run another compo. However, instead of many categories, do a single one, with a rule - use an unpopular engine. I mean, lately we got tons of new cool engines with huge potential that is waiting to be explored. Of course there is issue with the authoring tools, but those won't develop if no one interested in new engines, so we need to make some push. Not sure on the list of prohibited engines, but it should include Phaser1, Tritone, Special FX, Savage - ones used the most.

website - 1bit music - other music - youtube - bandcamp - patreon - twitter (latest news there)

That's a very reasonable idea. However, for the time being my motivation to organize another compo is near 0. Perhaps we could collaborate with the Spanish folks from Culturachip, though. Like, handle the submissions through them, but use our more transparent approach to voting. I mean the main idea of the last forum compo was to attract more people to the forum, and it clearly flopped (not just) in that respect. And I don't think that would change with a different ruleset.

Regarding allowed engines, I think the easiest would be to draw the line at Phaser2, eg. all engines released prior to that would be prohibited. The only drawback would be that this would exclude Stocker. (I've got a -somewhat conceptual- Stocker project in the works, though wink) What do you think?

11 (edited by Shiru 2016-04-18 23:45:22)

There is some old engines (such as Earth Shaker, ZX-10, Follin's) that didn't have much attention yet, so maybe it is better to exclude particular currently popular ones instead of just sorting them out by year of release.

Nice idea smile

I've been very busy at work recently so haven't been very active on the forum but my enthusiasm for 1-bit hasn't diminished.

Maybe a list of allowed engines for the compo?

13 (edited by garvalf 2016-04-19 08:24:08)

I think it's a very good idea. I've already tried several of Utz's new engines, but I haven't made a decent compo for all of them.

For drawing attraction to new people, I guess the best would be to make it as a BotB competition (but this would maybe not draw that much people on this forum on the other hand), with only a list of allowed engines, excluding all the ones in beepola, like tritone, qchan..., and other popular like octode and such.

14 (edited by utz 2016-04-19 09:48:50)

@Shiru: Well, Follin's engine is virtually unusable, and I've used ZX-10 excessively (and everybody else hates it). But, I see your point and agree. tBeepr and Beep Tracker would also fall under the "age limit", so yep, best use an "excluding" list.

@Tufty: Hehe, that'd be a pretty damn long list by now wink Think it's indeed best to do a list with disallowed engines, and for the rest direct users to http://randomflux.info/1bit/viewtopic.php?id=25. (I have to check if that one's actually up to date though).

@garvalf: There once was a -rather successful- Beeper BotB battle. But it was a one-time thing, quite sure I'd have a hard time convincing puke7 to host another one any time soon considering how packed the battle schedule is nowadays. Anyway BotB does a good job of drawing attention to 1-bit music either way, seeing how zxbeep is now one of the most popular formats on there aside from the "big ones" (nsf*, s3xmodit, wild).

Ok, I'll try to make a start on "the" list then.
The following engines would be disallowed:

- FuzzClick (Special FX/Orfeus)
- Huby
- Music Studio
- Octode (should that include the XL, 2k15 and PWM variants?)
- Qchan
- Phaser1
- ROMbeep
- Savage (should include newcore imo)
- Tritone
- Wham! The Music Box

Any others I forgot? What about ZX-7, -10, and -16? ZX-7 has been used quite a bit in the old days. For the rest we had the Tribute compilation, so those engines have had their spotlight already. I think we might also want to give a "recommended" list, which should include Phaser 2/3, fluidcore, and perhaps quattropic.

Edit: Squeeker and BT'man need more love, too, imo.

I think extended Octode versions should be allowed, as they has quite different timbre. Yes, it opens up a 'lazy' shortcut, but well, original Octode (and ZX-7, actually) wasn't used too much by anyone besides Mister Beep anyways.

Savage newcore, on the other hand, is the same thing as the original Savage, just with cleaner sound, so it makes sense to exclude it.

Overall, yes, I'd propose to disallow Special FX, Huby, Music Studio, Music Box, original Octode, QChan, Phaser1 (any mod), Savage old and newcore, original Tritone. It makes sense to disallow ZX- family, although ZX-3 may be allowed, as it barely had any use as far as I know. Not sure on Lyndon Sharp's engine, it had limited use in modern times, but not much.

OctodeXL has a cool fat catchy sound, so I fear it might "attract" most of the interest. But it wouldn't be fair to allow Octode 2k15 and not Octode XL, so maybe it would be more interesting to have no octode and variants at all. On the other hand, if it can attract more people (who wouldn't have participated otherwise), it's not that bad, so... either all of the variants, or none of them.

Heh, that's fine with me if we get a lot of OctodeXL tracks wink

Ok, so Savage newcore is out and all Octode mods are in. I'm fine with that. I'd also throw out LSengine - while not super popular, MB and me have been using it quite a bit in the past. ZX-3, I doubt anyone would use it considering the interface. (I have used it once, it's awful). There'd be an argument for allowing ZX-7, considering it's just been added to 1tracker. On the other hand, Jan once told me that sales figures were into the 4-digit numbers, so even though nobody uses it today, it can hardly be called an unpopular engine. So I would still vote to disallow the entire ZX- family.