51 (edited by utz 2016-01-26 11:11:22)

Re: 7 days, 7 (new) beeper engines

True that, seems like it's recorded from TV speakers.

Edit: Just polished up the yawp package a little, correcting some errors in the documentation and fixing a faulty sample in the xm template.

Upgraded the compile scripts for the quattropic package. They will now generate the BASIC loader at compile time, adding a simple title screen and enabeling automatic assembly at an arbitrary address. There are two ways to use the new features - either via the new "interactive-compile" scripts, or by adding some parameters when running the regular compile scripts. Details for the latter can be found in the readme.

Thanks to Tufty for testing my Win build of zmakebas, which is now included in the package.

Cheers utz.

BTW, just downloaded the upgraded quattropic package and played the demo tune.

There now seem to be some strange artifacts playing in this version sort of bordering on glitches. Was this intentional ?
I've just played the original demo tune from Aug 2015 just to check it's not the emulator and that still plays fine.

Cheers

sigh it's a curse with this engine, or rather with the converter. In theory the demo tune should be unchanged, so it's probably the converter causing the trouble. I'll look into it. Thanks for reporting, in any case.

I've done a bit of testing and sent you a PM

Tadaa, here we are again with our popular series "Fixing the quattropic converter". In this episode, expert C++ coder utz will try a completely rewritten, all-new algorithm for determining the play mode! Be sure to have a good laugh at the latest bugs!

Download is still here: https://github.com/utz82/ZX-Spectrum-1- … p?raw=true

Hmm, seems the bugs in the quattropic converter have finally vanished.

In the meantime, I've updated the nanobeep engine. The player has now been reduced to 77 bytes, and "light" (73B) and "ultra" (56B) versions have been added. "Light" has somewhat reduced sound quality, but otherwise still the full feature set. "Ultra", on the other hand, is cutting some corners, ie. no border masking, no click drum, and no looping. Also, there was a bug in the converter which has been fixed.

Good news, with Tufty's help I've finally sorted out my converter's issues with XMs created with OpenMPT. It should even work with OpenMPT's non-standard format hacks (no compatibility export required).

All converters at https://github.com/utz82/ZX-Spectrum-1-Bit-Routines have been updated. Just grab the master.zip if you want to update your local engine collection in one go. You'll get some extra crap you probably don't need, but deleting those still beats downloading all the packages seperately, I think.

Cool. Even though I'm used to milkytracker, openmpt seems to be popular (and it's great too, btw it works ok with wine).

I like how it sounds!
You've pushed the limits of 1bit music once more...

Hehe, seems you managed to post precisely at the moment when I moved my post to the "next gen engine ideas" thread yikes

well, I did not, I posted it much earlier (yesterday) and hibernated my computer. And today when I turned it on, I saw the infamous "which CPU is using zx spectrum" question, and answered it. Probably your post was already gone at that moment.

Huh? Who asked that where? Everybody knows that ZX Spectrum CPU is a TMS1000 big_smile

64 (edited by garvalf 2016-05-01 21:14:38)

every 4/5 posts (probably at random), I get a question to be sure I'm not a spammer / robot. Before it was "how many bit do you need to make cool music", now it's this zx spectrum cpu thing...
(edit: I just got it again, it was "Which CPU does the Sinclair ZX Spectrum home computer use? ")

Ahahaha, now I remember. Yes, it's a pity that the spam stopper plugin can't be configured in a more flexible way. Just recently we were hit by quite an onslaught of spammers signing up (they had figured out the answer to the old question somehow), so removing the questions are unfortunately, uh, out of the question at the moment.

Finally, the remainder of this bunch has been added to 1tracker. The latest additions are qaop and yawp.

website - 1bit music - other music - youtube - bandcamp - patreon - twitter (latest news there)