Re: 1tracker v0.47

Yeah, it is a bug. Actually I didn't test TAP/SCL exports, and I forgot they (the BASIC part) were hard-coded for #8000 blocks.

Will fix it soon. It is just not very easy to generate BASIC code from a program, it has quite a complicated structure.

For now you can MERGE the loader and replace the 32768 to 25088, it'll work.

website - 1bit music - other music - youtube - bandcamp - patreon - twitter (latest news there)

Fixed it, replace this file in the /engines/ directory.

Post's attachments

zxspectrum.1tl 11.24 kb, 1 downloads since 2023-07-28 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
website - 1bit music - other music - youtube - bandcamp - patreon - twitter (latest news there)

Another update. In order to cover more of the digital/sample-based Spectrum engines I'm doing some changes in the sound backend. I encapsulated Game_Music_Emu into an intermediate library called PlayLayer. At the moment it only uses GME, but the GME has been modified by me, so it is forked from the main version. Now there is Covox, Stereo Covox, and SounDrive support in GME's AY emulator, so you can use these devices in Sample Tracker engine now.

PlayLayer's purpose is to simplify adding other container formats without adding them into GME. I can just add any emu/player I want into this library, and it'll decide whatever should be used to play a data chunk. The intent behind it is that in order to support 128K+ sample-based engines I need to use a container other than AY, and a regular emulator Z80/SNA snapshot seems to be a reasonable choice, so this may be added eventually, without integrating it inside GME (which would be a major headache).

Thanks for the hard work, Shiru.

To compile with GCC/Clang, two small changes are needed. makefile:103 should read

playplayer/playplayer.o: playlayer/playlayer.cpp

and playplayer/playplayer.h must #include <cstddef> to make size_t available.

Many thanks Shiru.

I've managed to compile a sampletracker .tap now which plays great. I'm very excited about writing a tune with this engine.
It doesn't exit to basic though on pressing a key. Seems to get stuck in a loop ?

Yeah, it has quite a non-trivial exit routine, overlooked some things. Fixed, re-download the main archive.

Brilliant. Thanks Shiru

Regarding the sample tracker, (...and I realise that no one may want to reply to this)
Acknowledging that it uses the original ZX code with its IM2, is it at all theoretically possible to remove/MOVE the entire IM2 routine, and for the engine to run & play in IM1 (rst #38)?  or even in IM0?

The VZ/Laser does not support IM2 and would love to try to get this sample tracker working on this computer.
As you can also tell, I have zero knowledge on IM2 (other than reading about it) and, if the above IM0/IM1 is possible, it will give me something to fiddle with for ages until I get it working.

it certainly should be possible at cost of some sound quality. IM2 is used there to avoid having a loop counter inside the sample loop, because the whole thing is very heavy on register use. The counter instead located inside IM2 handler and it breaks the sample loop once it played enough frames.

Shiru wrote:

it certainly should be possible at cost of some sound quality.

Many thanks Shiru.

Requiring verification from someone else:
All examples play perfecto, except for ZX10.  As soon as the ZX10 example is selected and loaded in, 1tracker freezes.
Just my computer,? or something gone astray in v0.47?   No biggie at all, just curious.

Can confirm. Prints

Warning: trying to read song data row -1145383 column 4

repeatedly with increasingly large negative offsets, effectively freezing the program.

Confirmed, the script got broken a bit during the recent updates. Re-uploaded the archive with a fixed one.

Any music appearing on this engine with 1bit samples? I so regret that I have no musical talent hmm

Musical talent is overrated lol